Thursday, January 10, 2013

The Beginning

I remember when I first purchased two cows – just to keep the grass down in the pasture. Within six months I had added four more cows and a bull.  I know my experience isn’t different from that of other Ankole-Watusi breeders. They buy a couple just for fun, and “BAM!” they want more!  Whenever anyone says they want to buy just two, I smile – because I know they’ll be back. Ankole-Watusi are addicting.

In 1983, the AWIR dream began. The dream of sharing these magnificent animals with other progressive thinkers throughout America.  I’m grateful to the charter AWIR members for their foresight.  Without them, I’d have missed some of the best times of my life. I have a duty - as do my fellow breeders - to pass that legacy on.  When I take the time to share these animals with 4-H clubs, FFA members, elementary school students (during their study of Africa [6th grade]), Lions Clubs, Ruritans, state fairs, etc., I’m helping to spread the word about these wonderful cattle.

No comments: