Saturday, March 02, 2013

Veterinary Students And High Debt

My February 16th entry discussed the state of veterinary medical education and student debt. I'm pleased to point out that the NYTimes had a great article about this topic on February 23. In addition to the comments section, there have been some letters to the editor.

There are a lot of opinions expressed by my colleagues as to how to "fix" the problems of high student debt and over-population of graduate veterinarians. I don't claim to have any answers. I do, however, want young people to know what they are getting into before they leap into this career.

I enjoyed private practice. I liked working with horses, cats, dogs, cattle, etc. The large animal portion was rough on my body, but I did enjoy the work. It involved both physical and mental labor.

I love my current job. I get to help veterinarians find the information they need to handle their private-practice cases. My fellow employees are veterinarians who are/were in academia, specialty practices, general practices, etc. who also enjoy helping our colleagues. It's a great bunch of people working at VIN.

I love my job. But because of the contact I now have with so many veterinarians, I get to hear from far too many who are facing financial problems because of student debt and/or the current economy. When I graduated, it was unheard of for a veterinarian to lose a practice. That's no longer the case.

If you want to be a veterinarian, plan ahead. Make an informed decision. Check out the I Want To Be A Veterinarian website.

No comments: